(TheRedWire.com) – Buying or selling a home can be exciting and nerve-wracking. It means change is in the air, and hopefully, it will be a positive experience. Unfortunately, there are pitfalls to avoid. You need to know several secrets before you buy or sell a home, and we have some advice to help you.
Here are 10 tips from realtors to make your experience as enjoyable as possible, whether you’re buying or selling.
"Places where things like murders have occurred are known as 'stigmatized properties.'" https://t.co/SyDh4ZgLaP
— Nifty (@buzzfeednifty) November 30, 2021
- Do your research before buying near a school. If you’re coming or going during drop-off or pickup, it can slow down your travel time to wherever you’re going. If that’s a problem, you should know about that ahead of time.
- Realtors are not your investigators. Many realtors suggest their clients do some research on their own. Clients can contact the local police about crime statistics or to learn if there are any sex offenders in the neighborhood. Realtors don’t want to take the chance they missed something and be liable for it.
- Don’t borrow more than you can afford. While this advice may be obvious, people overextend themselves all too frequently. Use an online mortgage calculator to get an idea of what a monthly payment would cost you.
- Pre-qualify for your mortgage. It will give a realtor more reason to work with you as a client and make the buying process smoother.
- Install security cameras if you’re selling your home. People snoop, even realtors sometimes.
- Don’t look at what a house is now; look at what it could become when it’s yours. Some homeowners stage a home, and others don’t. Try to see it for what you want it to be and how you would live in it. You can re-paint or knock down walls in some cases. Look for potential.
- Hire a professional photographer to take pictures of your home. Pictures help sell a home. The better they are, the better the chances you can find a buyer quickly.
- Don’t leave things out you don’t want people to see. Be especially mindful to store prescription drugs securely.
- Keep your home spotless and ready to show at a moment’s notice.
- Don’t be home when agents show your house to prospective buyers.
There you have it. If you follow some simple rules, you may have an enjoyable buying or selling experience.
Copyright 2021, TheRedWire.com