(TheRedWire.com) – Christmas time is a wonderful time of year. There are plenty of fun events, including caroling, baking, and let’s not forget the presents under the tree. Unfortunately, crime is a problem any time of the year, and it can put a damper on festivities if you become a victim during the holidays. You don’t have to fall prey and become a victim.
My piece in the Guardian today How to keep your home safe from burglars at Christmas https://t.co/WjFiw3PByc thank you to @ForensicMindsUK @SkintDad @SkintDad_Naomi and @Coffee_Fueled for your contributions
— Helen Dewdney (@ComplainingCow) December 6, 2021
Here are a few tips to keep your home and presents safe at this time of year.
- Make sure to lock your doors and windows before going to bed.
- Pretend someone is home when you’re away by leaving the radio on or an ironing board in plain view with a pile of clothes nearby.
- Get your neighbors involved when you’re on holiday vacation. Ask them to park a car in your driveway so it looks like someone is home. If it snows, ask if they’ll clear your walkway and doorstep.
- Ask the US Postal Service to hold your mail until you return home. Nothing says open house to a criminal like a mailbox full of letters and junk mail.
- Don’t post pictures of all the presents under the Christmas tree on social media. If you leave to visit family, don’t post that you’re away — it’s an open invitation to criminals to come and check out what goodies they can steal.
So, there you have it. There are so many simple things you can do to protect your belongings and presents, it can be easy to forget to implement them.
Copyright 2021, TheRedWire.com