OOPS! – Mike Pence Announces Abrupt Change
(TheRedWire.com) – Soon after the FBI raided former President Donald Trump’s home, his vice president said he would testify before the partisan, Democratic-led House January 6 Select Committee if lawmakers subpoenaed him. During the January 6, 2021, riot on Capitol Hill, some rioters called for harm against then-Vice President Mike Pence for not following Trump’s lead by refusing to certify the 2020 presidential election. On Saturday, August 20, he appeared to walk back an earlier statement agreeing to testify if called.
Pence told the Washington Times he would consider a formal invitation. Still, he said he reflected deeply upon his obligations to ensure the committee didn’t violate the separation of powers or create other serious constitutional crises.
— The Washington Times (@WashTimes) August 22, 2022
Pence said he has grave concerns and expressed the credibility of the partisan makeup of the committee. He also noted the January 6 Select Committee previously leaked testimony and information and missed an opportunity to examine the failings of that day.
Returning to the question of his testimony, Pence said it would be unprecedented for a congressional committee to summon a former vice president. He also pointed out that he wasn’t at the White House during the riot and couldn’t speak about what happened there while the ex-president watched the circumstances unfold.
With that in mind, one has to wonder why the Democratic-led committee would even want to talk to Pence.
Copyright 2022, TheRedWire.com