(TheRedWire.com) – U.S. Capitol Police have revealed that they were only allowed to see one of the many clips that Fox News host Tucker Carlson aired during his Monday night show. The footage was captured by the Capitol’s security cameras during the Jan. 6, 2021 attack. Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) has so far granted Carlson exclusive access to the footage.
Capitol Police told The Hill on Monday, that they had previously repeatedly asked to have all clips from security reviewed by them before being aired. They added that so far they have only been allowed to view one single clip from all of the clips that aired on Carlson’s show.
This revelation comes after McCarthy had previously said that the Capitol Police would be consulted before any footage was aired in order to address any security concerns. This was also reiterated by McCarthy last week after he spoke with reporters.
Carlson also said that his team had all the footage checked with the Capitol Police before it was aired. He added that any reservations they had were “minor” and “reasonable.” To address these reservations the show blurred the details of one of the interior doors in the Capitol in order to mitigate the concerns.
It is important to note that the same camera angle of the door had been previously released as part of the impeachment trial of former President Trump in 2021. The door was not released at the time as the footage showed senators and staff evacuating the space. Disagreements have now ensued over whether or not the Capitol Police were actually consulted before the 44,000 hours of unseen footage were given to Carlson.
A senior GOP aide, who is aware of the process for footage release has also argued that the efforts were coordinated with the Capitol police.
Copyright 2023, TheRedWire.com